Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Back. Probably. Maybe really this time.


Well, what can I say that I haven't said before? (See three of my last four and approximately 12 of my 114 posts) I've been gone for awhile. Much has happened. I promise I'm going to be better. But we'll get to that in a bit. First, an enumerated list of at least a few of the things that have been going on in life the last...year.

And a half.

 Shit.


1. Was editor-in-chief at my college newspaper I am ashamed to admit it, but I don't actually remember if I wrote about this around when it happened. I am less ashamed to admit that I'm a bit too lazy to look it up. It was all-in-all an incredible experience. Sure I may have been disliked by some administrators, had to fire some friends, stayed in the office until 5:30 in the morning before getting up for my 9:20 class, and had to forego most other pleasures in life aside from girlfriend and Thai food. But I got to be a better writer, manager, editor, and person and met a whole mess of great people. Even got a couple of awards for our trouble.

  2. Brother committed suicide I currently don't have tons more to say beyond that I'm doing okay, miss him dearly, and that I'm sure I'll do a big long post on it in the future. For now, if interested, go here.

  3. Graduation Finally done with school! Woohoo! I can't believe how wonderful it feels to be able to type that. I've always been one of those people who was smart enough to overcome a crippling amount of laziness, so here's hoping I can transfer that ability into continuing to do so in a real world job. Can't say college didn't teach my anything I guess.

4. Jobs Looking for one. Yup. Unpaid journalism with a political watchdog group right now, which is pretty awesome, but for some reason people weren't just calling me with job offers the day after graduation. Also I'm thinking about moving to South Korea for a year to teach English, but have a pretty excellent batch of friends/girlfriend/teaching English isn't exactly doing journalism, so I'm not sure about that yet or not.


5. Moving It is the worst. That is all.

------

 Not my most awe-inspiring blog post of all time, but part of the reason I got so far behind in updating was because I kept putting off the now semi-annual "sorry I haven't been blogging blog" because they are, frankly, not that fun to write. But now I have some ideas for things that I want to write again and don't have a job that requires me to write constantly and keeps me on a four hour per day sleep cycle, so here's hoping.

2 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

As I live and breath...
You have been pretty busy and had a lot going on. Including one terrible thing. Really, just do what you want to do. This blog thing is just a sidebar to life anyway, right?
We have a family friend who is now doing her second stint in South Korea teaching English. After hating it for a couple of months, she started loving it there and took advantage and traveled all over Asia in her down time. If I was younger, I'd probably do it myself. Of course, I guess I'd have to master English first... Happy to see your post!

Eleni said...

Nice to see an update :) I think you did mention being head editor at some point a long time ago.

Congrats on graduating! Where did you move to? Back to home town/still in Chicago/someplace new? Good luck with the job search.

Post a Comment