Sunday, March 27, 2011

True Life: I'm Busy as S#!t

When I get mind-blowingly busy during the school year, certain things tend to happen in my life, roughly in this order:

1. No sleep

In an attempt to either accomplish all that is in front of me or do enough brainless vegging to make up for my otherwise lack of life, sleep is generally the first thing to go.

2. Steep decline in fashion

Because, quite frankly, when I'm running on 3 hours of sleep, yesterday's jeans and a semi-clean hoodie is often a best-case scenario. And don't you judge me, pretty girl in my Opinion-Editorial writing class. Just because you're willing to get up at 5:30 to give yourself the "oh I just wake up beautiful!" look, doesn't mean the rest of us have to. My hair and beard grew to ridiculous proportions:



I was originally going to have a video post weaving an elaborate story of being kidnapped by a hippie lumberjack commune, but admitting it would have hurt too much. Don't worry, I look much less like a wannabe Wookie nowadays.

3. Fall behind in class, then have a massive load of catching up to do come midterms/finals/test/essays

After sleep goes, my drive to do pretty much anything - especially my responsibilities- goes right along with it. Then I end up staying indoors during most of my waking hours relaxing because I don't have the energy to do anything, then realize that I should have been studying instead of relaxing, then I scramble to do it all right at the due date, leading to even less sleep. Vicious cycle.

Scene from one of my all-nighters this midterm season:



4. More blogging

While I'm sitting around doing nothing, I like to blog. It's good way to feel productive while not doing anything that requires me to do anything that I' don't particularly want to. I entered this semester knowing that it was going to be unbelievably hectic (particularly compared to my semester abroad before it), but I also figured that would mean an increase in blogging to relax and vent and what have you.

Unfortunately, I didn't count on the insane amount of writing that my classes and rediscovered journalistic passion would require. Call me crazy, but blogging after a week including a 10-page paper, a column for class, and three articles for the newspaper isn't the most appealing way to spend my time.

So here I am, crawling back to the internets. Once again. Don't say you didn't miss me, because I actually became MORE popular while I was gone (+1 follower, what what!). I don't know how frequent this whole "consistently updating" thing will happen. I'll at least try to get back on reading blogs again (I hid from you all in shame after the first month or so of no updates). But for now, off to the newspaper office.

As per usual.

8 comments:

The Shanner of Attention said...

welcome back. glad you're not dead.

Hey! Look Behind You! said...

I was wondering wtf happened to you! Yay to being back to the world of blogging. Can't wait to read about your C2E2 experience!

Penny Lane said...

I have missed you. Welcome back !!

Eleni said...

Nice to see you around again! Good luck with whatever looming deadlines you're battling this week.

Out of Sync said...

Hahaha this cracked me up, I can relate to #2 far to easily. Beards and uncut hair is for winners ;)

Tudor Rose said...

The ridiculous proportions of your hair and beard actually look pretty good on you ;-)

Tabs A. Geek said...

Yep, i recall my blogging suffered HORRIBLY during J-School... especially around exam time. Had about 17 articles/papers due in a span of 7 days... that one was fun.

Glad you're still alive!

The Illustrious D said...

I, for one, would love to be kidnapped by a hippie lumberjack commune.

Post a Comment