Saturday, January 15, 2011

All Grown Up?

Welp, I'm back safe and sound back in old Chi-town. Back in my apartment, back on campus, and back to "normal" life, or whatever the post-abroad equivalent of that could be. I've been told that I'll get Romesick at some point in the very near future, if I'm not already. So far so good on that front for me, but as things start dialing up, the chance for me to pine for the past will only become easier. Chicago winters are brutal, and when it gets cold and after I've worked for eight hours a night for three days on the newspaper and have an essay to write, I don't want to go down to pick up my Thai food, let alone go adventuring or make an effort to hang out with people. And keeping up with the fast-paced lifestyle of Rome is one thing I'm counting on to keep the Romesickness at bay.

The newspaper starts tomorrow night, and I'm now the head editor with two assistants instead of me and another co-editor for an editor-in-chief who simultaneously doubles as an ass who thinks everyone else is wrong and my roommate. School starts again Tuesday. Rent is due soon. And weirdly enough, all this isn't complaining about any of it. Instead, all this hitting me has just made me feel adult-ish. I only have a year and a half before graduation, I know a couple people who were just in college who are getting married and pregnant (in that order), and I semi should sort of come up with some sort of inkling of what to do come next May.

But by God, I won't let it get me yet.

That's part of the reason I came up with last week's list. I'm a somewhat sedentary individual by nature, but I got a glimpse of the active lifestyle while abroad, and I won't let myself forget that. So I'm going to try hard to make sure I get out and treat Chicago like a vacation - experience as much as I can, go places I haven't been, and do it with friends.

And on that note, here is this week's radio playlist. It was my first show back since early August, and it definitely showed, but all part of getting into the swing of things. I wanted this to be a longer post, but I was kind of tired after watching Steve Wiebe from "King of Kong" try to break the world record in Donkey Kong, and am running a little late to my Super Mario Bros. burlesque show.

------

John Legend and the Roots - Our Generation (The Hope of the World)
BOAT - We Want It! We Want It!
The Dandy Warhols - All the Money Or The Simple Life Honey
Dogs Die in Hot Cars - Lounger
Tokyo Police Club - Your English Is Good
Presidents of the United States of America - Sharpen Up Those Fangs
Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland 1945
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Around the Bend
CAKE - Jolene
The Apples in Stereo - Dream About The Future
Skybox - Light
The Specials - Pressure Drop
Hollerado - Juliette
Rotary Downs - Wild Pink In Super 8
Flobots - Handlebars


------

List update:

14: Learned to play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "Fuck You" by Cee Lo Green on the ukulele (2/10)
19: Added lots of songs after a radio show (10085/18000)

6 comments:

Penny Lane said...

I am sure that eventually you will miss Rome, it is an awesome place I only got to spend 5 days there and I miss it ha ha. But you have things to keep you busy, it sounds like, so it may take a while.

Good luck with the new semester !

Roxanne and Lorraine said...

I loved clicking around on your playlist, so thank you. Also, I hope you're able to keep all the sickness at bay. :)

Lor

Penny Lane said...

There is a surprise for you over at my blog go see what it is !

Amber said...

Billy Mitchell is such a douche.

And good luck leaving your place to get food. I dropped 10 lbs. during my first winter at Northwestern.

soft nonsense said...

Lorr - Always nice to be appreciated. I don't like posting it sometimes at the risk of being all hipster indie kid, so thanks!

PL - Whyyyyy thanks!

Amber - Apparently the director cut out a lot of stuff that made him look even worse than he did in the final cut. And Grubhub.com keeps me both fed and poor....

Pat Tillett said...

You still out there?

Post a Comment