Monday, November 15, 2010

Oktoberfest 2010 Day 3: The Last Prost

Part 1
Part 2

On our final day in Germany, we had a later afternoon flight, so we decided that we wanted one final stint in the festival would be the best use of our time. We broke the icicles off of our bodies from the night before, cursed Toby for not texting us appropriately, and headed to the grounds.

My breakfast:





Some sort of delicious pork burger thing that was probably the best-tasting thing in the world and absolutely horrifying for my arteries. Mike grabbed another wienershnitzel, and we headed to the next beer tent:

(after passing one of the greatest sights known to man)



When we got in, it was much less crowded than the day before (translating to a beer tent with about 10 open seats, instead of negative 40):





Then, after failing to flag down a beer wench for a good half an hour...



Ja!

I forgot to time stamp that one, but I did after, well, a bit.



So I'll let you do the math.

We also learned an interest German drinking game in which one person would stand up on their table, like so:



And then chug the ENTIRETY of their stein (the equivalent 3 or so very strong German beers) while the entire tent pounded their mugs and cheered him/her* on.

*Mostly hims.

It happened five times in our 30 minutes there, and likely resulted in roughly 4 deaths.

Fact.

------

Unfortunately, we had to leave shortly thereafter. After one last longing look at the splendour* of Oktoberfest, a reminiscence of good times, and a sudden bought of guilt driven by the sheer amount of fat, calories, and alcohol streaming through our veins, we headed back to The Tent:



*With a u, because I'm fancy and European like that now.

Gathered all of our stuff, returned the four (no exaggeration) blankets they had given us, and left for our flight. We couldn't resist one last German pastry on our way out:



And to put our coldness into perspective, here is a picture of the layers that I was wearing during our time there:



That would be an undershirt, a second, heavier t-shirt, a long-sleeve thermal, a thick pullover, and a jacket.

------

And that concludes Oktoberfest. Next up Greece.

Which is, of course, 9 days long and will require a post for each of the days. Check here often, I'm going to blogging like a fiend to try and catch up.

8 comments:

The Shanner of Attention said...

fantastical. jealous. well, not of the weather.

Eleni said...

Nutella!!!! Best food ever. When I was in Germany our hotel included a very impressive, lovely breakfast, but what put it above and beyond your standard lovely breakfast was the Nutella. Oh, and the kiwis. All-you-can-eat Nutella on croissant/other bread things + limitless kiwis = bliss.

Coincidentally (or not?), I also had Nutella for breakfast this morning, slathered on a banana. The banana makes it healthy, you see.

Quite an adventure you had. Can't wait to hear about Greece.

Pat Tillett said...

I must admit, I'm a bit jealous of you at this moment. i still think that all that beer equals idiots passing out on the street and the aroma of public urination in the air...

soft nonsense said...

Shannon - I do what I can.

Eleni - Totally healthy! Just like how I will buy a piece of fruit on a trip to even out all the shit I just ate.

Pat - I was surprised, there wasn't tons of drunken idiots there...just happy ones.

Copyboy said...

Nutella, pork and beer! Dude! There's nothing better in life. :)

Annah said...

I couldn't think of a better post to look at in the morning with my coffee (well maybe it would've been better if it was with donuts). Oktoberfest is one of my lust trips and I will do it before I turn thirty, damn it!

So glad you went and had a wonderful time. Hmmm beeeeeer

soft nonsense said...

Copy - Thanks for following! Also, I see you've followed my other blogs. Admittedly, they're just different travel blogs. Not that I don't appreciate it, I just don't want you to think I'm a hack.

Annah - Donuts are the best. And you know what place has the best donuts? Rome. Life is good.

Also, I enjoy when awesome bloggers comment on my posts so that I have to do less work in finding them. i.e. you.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

I'm going to sit on my laptop keyboard right now and see if what comes from it looks more or less like a word than the sign for that place you ate breakfast. Ready?

bbbnhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVzm_M8pEOg

Okay. That didn't work. My butt pasted the video link I just emailed to my brother. You get the point, though. Lots of consonants. (Sigh.)

I've never been to Germany. I'm just jealous.

Post a Comment