Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Some Sort of Hilarious Zombie/Walking Pun

I'm sorry for the lull in the posts the last couple of days (weeks? ugh...), but midterms are kind of a bitch and when the two things that need to be written about are Oktoberfest and a Greece trip, both things that were kind of life changing, blogging suddenly seems a bit more intimidating than usual.

....which is why I decided to write about the series premier of the Walking Dead instead.

I'll get to that stuff eventually. Probably. Forgive me as I shake off some rust off the ol' typing fingers and some of that weird green sleep stuff from the corners of my eyes.

------



For those of you who don't know (shame on you), the Walking Dead is an utterly fantastic ongoing comic book series about what would really happen in the zombie apocalypse: real humans fighting not only the undead, but also each other and their inner demons. More than being fodder for zombie-obsessed dorks like myself, it gives a strangely believable look at what the world would look like if society broke down and people had to choose between their humanity and survival. It's an ongoing story about the real dynamics of relationships under stress, and really examines how far people are willing to go in order to ensure the safety of those they care about.

Plus, IT'S A FUCKING ZOMBIE COMIC BOOK.

When my friends turned me on to it, I loved it from the beginning. And when it was announced that AMC was working on adapting it into a TV show, my creamy, nerdy center was whipped into such a frenzy that I made it into a lovely key lime pie with "I <3 ZOMBIEZ" written in blood red food coloring. The subject material was so good, how could they mess it up?!*

*Off the top of my head and in no particular order:
Star Wars I-III
Kazaam: Shaq as a genie!
GI Joe
Transformers
Watchmen (kinda)
Any Batman movie that didn't involve Chris Nolan or Michael Keaton, especially the ones involved giant rubberized nipples
A live action movie of Mario and Luigi
Speed Racer
Dr. Steve Brule TV show
Sequels to: the Matrix, Garfield, Caddyshack, Dumb and Dumber, Spiderman 2, Pirates of the Caribbean, Avatar
More Indiana Jones!
A Garfield movie in general


Eventually a bit of reality set it, and I became a bit skeptical out of a general defense mechanism: things that I really love that become suddenly big or adapted to a movie or TV show or anything often disappoint. Therefore, I lower my expectations to soften the (obviously certain) blow that (always) comes with the delivery of said adaptation. I was excited, but cautious: I didn't need another heartbreak in my life.

But when my friend got a hold of the first episode yesterday, I was beside myself in joy: it delivers. It borrows a lot from the comics (in the best possible way), but tweaks things occasionally for the better. Even if you haven't read the comics it comes from (which you should, immediately), do tune in on Halloween to watch it if you aren't getting too cray cray with your slutty party costumes (lookin' at you D). You won't regret it.

8 comments:

Eleni said...

I'll definitely check it out. It sounds cool. Will they post full episodes online?

The Shanner of Attention said...

My husband is definitely making sure we watch it. After the slutty halloween party costumes of course.

Charley Quinn said...

haha i love that you included steve brule's tv show. what did happen to that?

Christina In Wonderland said...

I think everyone and their dog blogged about the premiere of this show. Lol. I've never read the comics, but I did love the premiere episode. Maybe I need to go invest myself in the comic series now. :)

Roxanne and Lorraine said...

I really love the zombie apocalypse, and SOMEHOW (probably because I don't watch a lot of TV on TV) I had no clue this was going on. Lots of people already yelled at me, and thanks to this nifty blog (and your "creamy, nerdy center" (LOVED that)) I was reminded and have now discovered that the full episode is online.

Guess who will not be working today? Yep.

(Sorry for all the parenthesis. It just sort of happened.)

Lorraine

soft nonsense said...

Eleni - Not cool, my friend. The best. And hopefully? Check AMC's website, but I used less than legal means to view it originally, sooo...

Shanner - Which is why I will never say a bad word about him.

CQ - It happened...then sucked...kind of the end of the story, unfortunately.

Christina - BUT! Take note: who blogged about it first/days before it happened?

And that's why I'm the best.

R&L - As a wise man once said, "Organize before they rise!" And usually that many parenthesis remind me uncomfortably of an algebraic equation, but yours was allowable because it was flattering.

Pat Tillett said...

How in the heck did I miss these posts?

There was no way i wasn't going to at least give AMC a chance with this. I eagerly waiting for it to debut last week. IT WAS AWESOME!!!
I can't wait to see episode #2 tonight...

soft nonsense said...

Pat, you are the coolest older gentleman ever.

Post a Comment