Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Adventures in Unproductivity/Return of Radio Nonsense

One thing that I have learned about life is that, often, it is made of a series of lists. In my two decades on this planet, I've made a whole bunch of lists, everywhere from the big scary ones ("life goals," a bucket list, my Man Five) to medium ones (classes I need to take to graduate on time, blog ideas) to the little ones (grocery lists, cliff notes on my future award acceptance speech, books to read, Alton Brown recipes to try).

And though I've been fretting over the big lists lately (another depressing post for another time), I thought that I'd give my loyal followers a glimpse into my life with one of my small ones.

During work today, I got in one of my mini freakout moods where I realize how much I have to do and swear to be productive, so I made a to-do list for today. Unfortunately, my to-do lists all too often turn into "do anything but these things" lists. Here are the highlights:

#1: Finally unpack and clean my room after a month-plus of living in it.

Really, this task was long, long overdue. Obviously. But it mostly involved just putting stuff in drawers and organizing.





NNNNNNope. I wanted to get something done tonight. And then actually sleep.

#2: Finish up a couple last-minute things for my study abroad application to Rome next semester.

This one actually seemed doable. Until I looked at the 40 pages of stuff I had to fill out, etc.



Well, that can wait for another day. Or another.

#3: Do some dishes.

We literally had no clean bowls, plates, forks, spoons, etc. And while washing dishes is one of my least favorite chores, eating is one of my favorites.*

*Yes, eating is a required chore at my domicile. You know you wish you lived with me, mess and all.



Or we can just go out for dinner tonight.

#4: Take out the trash.

C'mon, I can go down to the first floor to take....all that....trash....down 14 floors....



Shmmeeehhhh....

#5: Clean out e-mail inbox.

Okay...I can...Oh God....



And that was after deleting 200 of them. Fuck THAT shit.

Silver lining: got to put it all off and put up a blog post. As I prove time and time again, I'm at my writing best when I'm writing what I'm not supposed to be writing when I'm not supposed to be writing it.

------

At least I have my radio playlist!

...from last Friday!

Cage the Elephant - Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
The Heavy - Coleen
Tokyo Police Club - Bambi
The Constellations - Perfect Day (though screw Vampire Diaries)
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - The Sun Ain't Shining No More
The Apples in Stereo - Same Old Drag
BOAT - We Want It! We Want It!
Band of Horses - Blue Beard
The Dandy Warhols - The New Country
Skybox - Light
Mike - Love Today
Free Energy - Free Energy
Maps & Atlases - Solid Ground
Wintersleep - Experience the Jewel


STILL COUNTS!!!!!

Tune in this Friday, 8-9 am and 11-12am to hear my roommate/friend Mike and I make fools of ourselves on air. For the second straight week.

8 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

You have to go down 14 floors to take the trash out? That's a lot of work. Why not just throw it our the window, or put in in the elevtator and send it down alone...
Your room looks exactly like my daughters room when she moved into an apartment by her school. It looked the same way a year later when she moved out. It's just a mess anyway! Lot's of better things to do than clean house, that's for sure!

soft nonsense said...

At least SOMEONE out there understands me.

Eleni said...

Oh man, what a mess. Though I understand how daunting chores like that can be, which makes it hard to get them done, which just allows the mess to get worse, which makes the chore even more daunting, etc.

My boyfriend has almost 12000 (not a typo: twelve thousand) unread emails in his inbox. Most of them are because he imported messages from some other account and never did anything with them, but I think those only account for maybe 10000. The rest are actually emails he hasn't read or deleted. It makes me cringe just thinking about it. How do you people survive?

Millie-jane said...

Holy crap, thats quite a list you have.

You: "All the better to blog for you, my dear." *deep breathing*

The Shanner of Attention said...

wow - it's evident boys live in this place. hahahahaha.

soft nonsense said...

Eleni - *twitch*

MJ - Hooray for new blog visitors! I hope you don't judge me too thoroughly for this post. I'd rather your first impression of me to be, hmm...

Looking back, I don't have tons of great first impressions. So welcome!

Shanner - yyyeeeaaahhh....

Look people, I just want to be clear: I'm not proud of the way I live my life. I'm convinced that some day, someone from the show "Hoarders" is going to show up, confusing me for one of their subjects. Also, doesn't help that my room is like a 5x10 box, but that's for another time.

Point is, I know I need help, but don't know where to turn!

(...that was supposed to be vaguely drug-addicty, but epic fail. Just sounded whiney. But screw the delete button!)

The Illustrious D said...

I kind of want to crawl through the internet and Monica Gellar your room.

Also, I don't think I've received 1055 e-mails in my entire life. You must be pretty good friends in the male organ enhancement and Nigerian prince industries.

soft nonsense said...

D - You would me my number one choice for an Extreme Makeover: Apartment Edition host. If you want to feel popular online, work a newspaper and radio job, get Google Alerts, and comment on lots of blogs.

And I'm trying to think of a clever yet non-creepy way of saying that the enhancement industry knows better than soliciting me to buy their product, as I have no use for them, but failing miserably. Not a good day for witty comment responses.

Post a Comment