Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Nerd Alert and Radio Tuesdays (And, As Usual, More)

Okay, so as if the the world was cosmically putting me back in my place after my pseudo-manly post last night/this morning, here's how my morning has gone so far:

I roll out of bed at 6:35, after roughly an hour and a half of sleep (uuuugggghhhhh), caught the bus just in time while eating a bagel blah blah blah same old same old*. Once on board of the bus, I reached for my iPod, only to remember that I've now broken both of my headphones over the last two weeks (along with nearly my laptop and iPod itself...). So that's a no go.

*If you're really interested in what happened, read pretty much ANY OTHER RADIO POST in which I complain about how early I have to get up. Which is ALL of them.

Now I'm not one of those people who hate being around other people out in the real word. Quite the opposite in face: creepy yet sneakily people-watch is practically a profession of mine (something Hank Azaria learned the hard way). But I have an inherent fear of falling asleep on public transportation, yet a strong affinity for it. I am absolutely, positively convinced that the first time I fall asleep on the bus or train when I'm my myself* will likely be my last because I will so hopelessly lost in Chicago that I will never, ever be able to find my way back.

Or die. But that's just my sleepiness talking.

*Also, while much of my traveling on the CTA is spent with Girlfriend, I can't fall asleep even then because she has about a 95% sleep rate on, well, pretty much anything. If she really wanted to, she could likely hibernate.

AAAAnyway, I was sleepy, so I needed something to entertain me as I avoided sleep. Usually its a podcast or something, but no such luck today. So inside my backpack, I really have three options: a GameBoy Color with Pokemon Red in it, one of the books I should have had read a week ago, and the Sandman comic I bought on my comic book excursion.

Now the bus is filling up fast, and I need to make a decision before someone plops down next to me and makes my backpack nigh unaccessible. I knew damn well that if anything, the actual school work would just put me to sleep, so that was automatically out. Then I just had to judge exactly what kind of nerdiness I wanted to exude. I eventually settled on the comic book, but I'm not exactly proud of the reasoning behind it, as it only cemented my nerd-dom: I didn't remember how to do the Mew glitch in Pokemon, so I wanted to wait until I could look it up online....



You better believe it ladies.

And to wrap it all up, how did I celebrate the news that my class today was cancelled?

Why, singing along to Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog Songs* while checking the mike every 20 seconds or so to make damn sure that it wasn't hot.

*If you don't know what this is....I pity you. Jump on Netflix instant, please. My love for Neil Patrick Harris is well-documented, and much of it stems from his performance on this Joss Whedon masterpiece. He was even my Halloween costume last year:



Blog post dorkitude level: 8.9

------

Here's this week's installment of As Heard On The Radio!:

The Strokes - Hard to Explain
Cut Copy - Lights & Music
Speech Debelle - Spinnin'
The Raincoats - Lola
Happy Birthday - Maxine the Teenage
Moldy Peaches - Who's Got the Crack
Free Energy - Dream City
Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band
The Hidden Cameras - In the NA
Dum Dum Girls - Bhang Bhang, I'm a Burnout
Dan Black - Karate Kid
Spoon - Written In Reverse
Mat & Kim - I'll Bring Us Home
The White Stripes - The Denial Twist
Love Is All - Bigger Bolder


------

One of the greatest and most obvious perks to being a volunteer at a radio station is the free music. A not-so-apparent one? Free cake brought in by a semi-big local band who wants to give you their EP. Well played, Stanley Ross. Girlfriend rewarded you for your awesomeness.

------

Finally (I promise/think), I just wanted to officially and publicly thank all you new followers out there. Through some love over at fellow blogger Patrick Tillman's site (I follow him, his link SHOULD be on the right...) and plenty of shameful self-promotion over at 20-Something Bloggers, I've managed to swell my ranks as of late. I can't tell you how much it means to me, even if I'm one of 150 blogs that you follow and never comment on any of my posts. I feel like I should make a joke about how if you really loved me, you'd tell all your friends to read my stuff, but I don't want to cheapen this lame blurb.

Much thanks, hope I can keep you sticking around.


....also, I apologize for the huge number of asterisks, change of directions, and links to former blog posts in this one. Mah bad....

6 comments:

Living Shallow, Living Well said...

Neil Patrick Harris IS awesome. And so are you.

Funny blog.

soft nonsense said...

haha thank you kindly....LSLW? Thanks for following, deeply appreciated.

...as I guess I mentioned above.

Jordan said...

sweet post. I'm sticking around as well. Thanks for the ego boost :)

soft nonsense said...

At first when I read "ego boost," I thought you meant that my disgusting array of nerd-dom made you feel better about yourself....

Amber said...

You are quickly becoming one of my favorite bloggers. If we lived in the same city I'm pretty sure we'd be besties.

I downloaded the new Dr. Horrible comic App on my iphone. I don't know if you have an iphone but if you do I think you should get it. (I don't know that much about all this fancy technology stuff, but I'm guessing you can download it from itunes even if you don't have an iphone). It's Dr. Horrible's origin story and it's kind of great.

Also, I just finished Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men last month and if you're looking for comics to read I think you should get that one. There are 4 volumes and you can find them at Borders or whatever. AND last night I finished this Star Trek: The Next Generation comic called "Ghosts." There are 5 issues and I found it pretty interesting. I'm sure you can pick that one up at any comic book store.

And lastly, thanks for the blog award!

I've been away from my computer for a couple of days and haven't had a chance to comment on too many blogs, so I've kind of incorporated all of the comments I would have given you the past week into this one comment.

soft nonsense said...

Oh hush, you. Making me blush and whatnot.

I'll be sure to check out all of the aforementioned comics, especially the pair of Whedon products (as soon as I get money again...), and the award was nothing you didn't already deserve.

Post a Comment