Monday, April 12, 2010

Lifer's Block

As my overly sappy (and apparently unpopular) post a couple days ago alluded, I love blogging. It gives me an outlet for creativity and a way to connect with an audience (albeit a small, somewhat nerdy one*). It helps me hash out my thoughts, makes me a better writer by actually forcing/guilting me into writing, gives me a community to be a part of, all the usual mumbo jumbo. But, really, one of my favorite parts about being a blogger is that it makes me look at my life differently (which sounds pretty lame).

*And that's why I love you.

Originally, I talked about my life much less than I do now, mostly because I didn't view my life as extremely interesting. I knew/hoped people would like hearing about what happened to the Red Power Ranger, Scott Pilgrim*, and all that stuff. But soon, as I read more and more blogs, I began shifting my mindset. I began trying to look at everything in my life as a potential blog post, and I've gotten some of my best stuff out of it (most notably the now-infamous epic of "the tampon run"

*Or fooled myself into thinking they wanted to hear about Scott Pilgrim. Coming out July 20, and in theaters August 20.

So the question is, what the hell do I blog about when my life is boring as fuck?

I've already done my "memory photoblog" post. Done my cheesy post. Don't really have any major events to blog about. And I've spent the last three days studying my arss off (completed by finally finishing at 6:30 am this morning, then forgetting to give it to my professor in class...), so there's nothing there but bitching. Maybe this is just my sleepiness talking, and there's a slight likelihood that I'll have a badass post idea in about an hour and a half, but I got nothin' today.

Nothing, that is, except...

NOSTALGIC MUSIC MONDAY!!!!

In honour of his coming out party, I decided to do an oldie but goodie: She Bangs.



Oh how he fooled us all these long years with this video and many more like it. Plus, you know, the whole title thing. Still need some more nostalgia ballads, so get on that.

------

Side note: I've seen this on a few blogs, and was wondering: should I do a "Best Nonsense" bar on the side of the page? Do I have enough bests to justify such a thing? Am I really just a hack, out of creative ideas and trying to live off of the successes of the past by only presenting my best stuff, instead of crappy posts like this one?

Do weigh in!

10 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Hasn't Ricky Martin been reduced to nothing more than a segue to William Hung?

And yeah, I think it is a good idea...and eventually you could issue your own "best of nonsense" collector's edition, blog compilation through the Danbury Mint.

We can't hit a home-run with every blog post (unless you're Una LaMarche). I've living proof of that. Don't even worry about it! Your blog is good, even when it's about nothing...

soft nonsense said...

Pat, if I'm not mistaken, you just put me on par with Seinfeld. Which I will neither confirm nor deny.

And I definitely thought about William Hung when I posted it, but hoped that there would be some trace amount of pure nostalgia left to that song without it. Guess not ; )

Kate said...

Roses are Red by Aqua! I found a really freaky animation of it and posted it.

Maybe

Kate said...

Sorry, got excited with the enter button. Maybe Wild Wild West by Will Smith?

soft nonsense said...

The enter button is easily the most exciting of all the buttons. It implies progress, the start of something new, and a presentation of ideas.

And i've never heard Roses are Red...am I a bad person, or is it obscure? And I loved Wild Wild West as a young 'un...

Charley Quinn said...

well that was my favorite nostalgic monday music so far. unfortunately, i only have few memories of pete and pete, so i didnt get as much out of it as most. i feel like i must have just started watching nickelodeon as that show was ending.
as far as a "best of" bar goes... could be a good thing. if you are trying to attract new ppl, it could be a good way to hook them.

dominique said...

omg. i could expound upon 90s music for literally, probably, days. sad but true. as far as what i'll give you today, because it played from the "the best dance of the 90s" torrent i was overjoyed to find, haddaway - what is love. head tilty bouncy dance move encouraged :)

soft nonsense said...

You KNOW that's on my list of future jams. I couldn't even begin to count the number of time's I've rocked out to that song...

Thanks for visiting!

Sakamoto Kazuma said...

Living on a Prayer! WHAAAOOOOO We're half-way there! --some dude with long hair.

And also,

Kiss me, out of the bearded barley, Nightl, beside the green green grass. --Sixpence None The Richer

soft nonsense said...

Pssshhh....

Jon Bon Jovi is NOT just some dude with long hair...

Post a Comment