Sunday, April 18, 2010

Geek By Proxy

I've had a hard time blogging as of late, both in finding the time and in finding the inspiration. Hopefully life will slow down just a bit the next week or so before naturally jump starting back up again with finals. But still, I promise to do better :)

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my last post, all this stress and busyness has been debilitating to no only my blogging, but also my social life. I had to miss the Regional Air Guitar Championships Thursday night, plus various other social gatherings that I've had to say "no" or "meh" to due to the need to work or sheer exhaustion*.

*One of the few things this week I was able to do was go to the beach with Girlfriend and play Scrabble and whatnot (with none of this "proper noun" bull sheet). Unfortunately, this merriment came with the lesson that sand, much like herpes or the word "FUCK" written in pen on a white wall, is never really gone**. My bedsheets are proof.

**Also, I only know of one of the two examples being true. I'll allow for you to giggle at whatever choice you decide to make.


But the most egregious, heart-wrenching part of my disturbingly busy weekend was that I was forced to miss an all-day nerd-a-thon at the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2).



Here it was, my first ever comic convention. I could finally take that step into the nerd-dom mecca. But unfortunately, studying abroad is expensive, and my job had a training session all day Saturday. My chance to be among my adoptive kind was stolen from me.

Luckily, two of my roommates did go, and they more than made up for me. Our collective comic book collection went from only five of the current Scott Pilgrims to, well...



This.

To be fair, most of them were free at the Con. My personal purchases were "The Dark Knight Returns," a comic about what Batman would be like in his late 40s after a decade of retirement and a pair of Joss Whedon X-Men books (as suggested by dear reader Amber).


Front.


And back.

Booyah.

------

Also, I added the "best of" thingmajig on the side bar. If you're relatively new here and haven't creeped all over this blog (wouldn't blame you), then those are some of my personal favorite, semi-ranked. Hope you enjoy.

And tell your friends.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Great shirt! While I'm not a big comic book fan, there's something deep down that I love about comic book and sci-fi conventions. I can let my inner geek (as opposed to my outer geek) run free.

soft nonsense said...

Even before I decided to get into comic books, I had always been interested in such conventions. I'd been to a couple before, but it was always under the guise of getting Star Trek autographs with my Dad. Plus I was super young, so I don't really remember much about it. I mean, at the end of the day, it at least makes for some great people watching.

Hey! Look Behind You! said...

Because I'm hording all my cash for the big San Diego Comic Con, I'm upset I missed out on this. I must go to this next year. Yes, I must.

Amber said...

I just bought that Scott Pilgrim shirt a couple of weeks ago...aaahhh!

soft nonsense said...

@Hey - Yeah, I (once again) waited to long to get tickets to the San Diego Con...*sigh*

@Amber - Totes twinsies. The other one wasn't nearly as awesome. Plus, this one is apparently limited edition! So woot!

Post a Comment