Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Why the Final Potter Movie(s) Will be the Best Yet

I, like thousands (millions?) of other children, I was very sad when, on my 11th birthday, I did not receive a letter via owl officially inviting me to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft sincerely signed by one Minerva McGonagall (Deputy Headmistress).



I devoured those books. I have read every single one of them at least four times. I couldn't tell you every single detail of the series, but let's put it this way: who has two thumbs and knows Harry's favorite dessert is treacle pudding?

This guy.

So when they made the inevitable announcement that they would be making movies based on the books, I was understandably psyched. Counted down the days, Googled the cast members, all the good stuff. I was sure it would be the greatest movie of my young moviegoing life.

Then it actually came out.

Badly acted, poorly adapted, etc etc. It was thoroughly bad on lots of levels, even to my adolescent eyes. After the next couple releases (though the kids kind of learned how to act), I just came to face the reality that I would always, no matter how not terrible it was, I would always, always be disappointed by the movies. And I was.

But at the end of the day, more than anything, there was one thing that always, absolutely rubbed me the wrong way:

The new Dumbledore.

The original, Richard Harris, was one of the few good parts about the first two movies (along with Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, and Alan Ricman) and perfectly fit the role of gentle, wise, and mischievous ol' Dumbledore. Sadly he passed after Chamber of Secrets, and was replaced by Michael Gambon. Determined to do his own take on the character, Gambon apparently decided that "angry Welshman" fit better.



Any time his voice raises more than two decibels above his normal speaking voice, I cringe.

And now, as the press starts buzzing about Deathly Hallows, I have begun coming to terms with another HP movie that I doubt I'll enjoy, simply for the fact that it's not the book. I hate being that person, but I freely admit it. But then I remembered a silver lining...

Dumbledore died!*

*Which is something that I never thought I would ever, ever consider as silver lining btw...

As terrible as it sounds, that means that Gambon won't be ranting his way through my mind's image of Albus like a Sectumspectra curse through butter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment