Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Tuesday...So Far (and Why the Internet is Great)

When I woke up at 7:05 this morning, I knew today had the potential to be rough. Why?

Well, for starters, I was supposed to be on the bus headed downtown for my radio show at 7.*

*Now I'm going to warn you, this post might get a little "pity party" on my part. I'll try my best to make it humorous instead of whiney. Is it just me, or are all of my radio show updates simply turning into dramatic retellings of how the hell I got to the station?

Anywho, I woke up late (obviously), threw on non pajama pants (this week, unlike my birthday show last week), rushed to Dunkin, then rushed to the bus stop to cram myself onto a bus. It's 7:20, so I'm not terribly worried. I figure I'll just have to pick quickly in the music library before going on-air. There was a podcast that I had to interrupt that was streaming anyway, so if I were a few minutes later than 8 it wouldn't be a huge deal.

38 minutes later, I get off the bus and sprint to the station.

Once I get in eyeshot of the booth, I start unzipping my coat and taking my laptop out of my bag for ultimate rush capability. I storm up to the door, adrenaline running, absolutely dialed in and mentally ready to throw this together and have a hell of a show. I was a whirlwind of confidence and energy derived from stress and sleep deprivation slap-happiness. It was game time.

And then....*click*.

Locked.

I whirl around and whip out my cell phone, dialing anyone and everyone I knew at the radio station, praying someone could tell me what to do. All that energy had turned to wide-eyed panic.

No answer from the Station General Manager. No answer on call number two*. Luckily I got a hold of my friend Mike, who reminded me that the radio was enacting a new policy to lock the door for morning DJs, and I had to be let in by security. Fair 'nuff. I still had a chance to salvage my set, it was only a couple minutes past zero hour.

Baha, said the fates.

*Turns out I called her office number, not her cell. Woopsies.

Turns out I get a security guard who is out of the loop and refuses to let me in without hearing from my manager. Which, you know, is my problem too. So a few frantic calls later, nothing. I'm REALLY starting to get freaked now. I didn't know for sure when whatever weird programming was on before me (I got a text from my Mom who literally insulted the song, not knowing whether it was me or not lol) would run out, but knew that my time was ticking quickly

Finally as I was pacing around in front of the desk, my Director gets through to security and tells them to let me in. We decide to take the extra-slow elevator up two flights of stairs (ugh), then I grab the library key so I can grab a couple CDs to buy myself some time. Finally get on air at 8:25 or so, make a quick excuse or two, and carry on. Setlist:

Modest Mouse - Gravity Rides Everything
Helicopter Helicopter - Bottom of the Ocean
Phoenix - Armistice
Owen - Amnesia and Me
The Heavy - Coleen
The Lost Fingers - Pump Up the Jam
The Shins - Australia
Matt & Kim - Lightspeed
Flogging Molly - If I Ever Leave This World Alive
Spoon - I Saw the Light
Black Seeds - Year of the Pig


There was a bit more stress in my morning though. My co-editor told me we didn't have the pictures for a full page feature in our section (deadline is tonight, woot) and the guy after me in the radio station told me he might not be in on time today, therefore making me late to my class. Things were looking bleak.

But then, in the moral story of the day, I was saved by the power of the world wide web. I got an e-mail from my Writing and Reporting professor whose class I was going to be late for saying that she cancelled class for today. I found a couple solutions for the page problem via inspiration through Google. And now I'm easing my blogger conscience by throwing this up.

The world looks better, thanks to you Internet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment