Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Weekly Radio Playlist/Stuff

First, a few points of order.

Number one, proud of myself for blogging twice in a row after a week or so of spotty posting. *Self-pat*

Number two, a story about the perils of relying on outside forces for transportation.

So I have a radio show at my college's radio station from 8-9 every Tuesday morning downtown (listen here woot!), a switch from last semester's 11-12 shift. And by switch, I mean "way the fuck earlier." But when I was approached by my station manager to do it, I figured it would just mean more listeners to feed my apparent desire to be appreciated by others (see: newspaper and this blog).

Last semester for my 11am shift, I would take a shuttle that takes me from the campus I live near that drops me off right next to the building that houses the broadcast booth. Naturally, I assumed that the same would hold true this week.

Nay nay.

I stumble to the bus stop in the bitter cold (wind chill likely made it around 0) at about 6:55 after only four hours of sleep, hoping to catch the shuttle at seven (that my school's website claimed existed) only to see a bus in sight. Fantastic. I tapped into my Gunnery Sargeant Hartman powers and cursed up a storm, though it may have come out more mumbly, as my lips had mostly frozen over.

Anywho, I go to walk across the street to catch the CTA bus. Its about half a block away, then have to go to an intersection. Then, I see the "walk signal." At the same time, the 147 bus I need to get on pull up to the stoplight. The race was on.

I started sprint-jogging (not a real word, but I know you know EXACTLY what I mean). With a few hundred feet to go, the 15-second countdown began. Like a cheesy sequence in a movie, time slowed down. I ran, but I knew it wouldn't be enough. And, sure as I sit here typing, a big 0 flashed just as I got to the corner. The bus pulled away, and I cursed angrily again.




I eventually got to the station yadda yadda yadda, but frustrating nonetheless. BUT it brings me to the final part of this blog post.

I've noticed that some of the blogs I look at have weekly segments, like horror movies of the week, a "Heroes" "Hiro Meter", that sort of thing. And it struck me as not only something cool, but also an automatic gimme blog post every week. So here, for your viewing pleasure, my playlist this week from the radio.


The Flaming Lips - The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song

Of Montreal - St. Exquisite's Confessions

Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland 1945

The Minor Leagues - Projections of a Person

The Natural History - Dance Steps

Wake the President - Remember Fun?

Fruit Bats - The Ruminant Band

Speech Debelle - Spinnin'

Vampire Weekend - Cousins

Secret Machines - Nowhere Again

They Might Be Giants - Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

Spoon - The Underdog

Weezer - Perfect Situation

Them Crooked Vultures - New Fang

The Capulets - Summertime

The Heavy - Oh No! Not You Again!

Dandy Warhols - We Used to Be Friends


I figure, worst case scenario, doing this will make me pay attention to the songs I play so I don't keep playing the same songs every week and hoping that none of my listeners notice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment