Monday, January 18, 2010

Sleepiness and Chicago and Zombies

I suppose I broke my string of days with a blog post, but the last two days were mostly spent running around my room in Kansas City scraping up all of the stuff that I brought from school, running around the airport with a bag that only BARELY weighed under the 50 pound limit, enjoying relaxation with the girlfriend, catching up on a few weeks of terrible sleep habits, etc, so I don't feel too bad about it. Plus, I enjoyed writing that last post so much that I was content in leaving it up for a day or two extra.

Anywho, on to the post.

------

I'm a big fan of zombies. I'm not a huge horror/gore movie fan, but I love those undead moaners and I love planning out my survival tactics if (read: when) Z-Day, the zombie apocalypse, comes around. In fact, I've already decided that I'm going to have a full blog post dedicated to detailing said plan for those of you who haven't read Max Brooks' wonderful creation, "The Zombie Survival Guide."


(Organize before they rise!)

But that's for another day.

What inspired me to post was a bit of news from Slash Film, a movie blog that I semi-follow. I was scanning it earlier and found this post from a month ago:



For those of you who are vaguely confused as to the awesomeness that is going on in the above picture, it's pretty much exactly how it sounds. Let me break down why you should be as excited as I am (if it isn't readily obvious).

First of all, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is EXACTLY what it sounds like: the best-selling and classic novel/movie Pride and Prejudice, except with zombies. Simple, no? Author Seth Grahame-Smith got the project after an editor at Quirk Books read The Art of War Against Fat, a weight-loss take on Sun Tzu's guide of war. Grahame-Smith's book took off to wide critical fame. So popular, in fact, that the publishers already commissioned Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls (a prequel), and Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer (all of which have wonderful covers by the way).

Interestingly, when Grahame-Smith wrote his first book, he decided to leave upwards of 85% of Jane Austen's original text intact (so much so that Austen is still listed as a co-author). I really want to read the book, but felt I had to read Pride and Prejudice to truly appreciate it. Now, however, thanks to this movie, I might just do the unforgivable and just watch either the 1995 or 2005 movie adaptation sometime before this new, undead one comes out.

Oh, and by the way, if zombies running around 19th century England and Natalie Portman doing her best Ash Williams impression in a dress doesn't intrigue you, maybe this will.



That's right. In the book, there are FUCKING NINJAS. Zombies vs. ninjas? Could it get more awesome? Doubtful.



And finally, some more pictures from the book itself to get you excited.





Yup. That's Elizabeth Bennet, exploding a zombie's head. With her foot. That is all.

1 comments:

Hey! Look Behind You! said...

I really need to pick up Pride, Prejudice and Zombies like right now.

Post a Comment